HISTORY

In 1870 a baby girl who was named Paula was born in the Traslasierra. Paula grew to be a well-known presence in the region, becoming a point of reference for travellers to the Valley. Paula’s uncle, Coronel Olmedo, was the caretaker of the land that General Mitre from Buenos Aires was distributing to his faithful.
Olmedo himself received a large parcel of land in the Traslasierra Valley as a reward for his military exploits in the war against Paraguay. He gave part of this land to his sister, who lived there with her husband and their two children, Paula and Albino. Sadly, the children were orphaned at a young age, and while Albino moved away, Paula always remained on the land she inherited.
Time passed and the aristocratic Favre family from Entre Rios moved to Mina Clavero so their daughter, Anastasia, who was suffering from a respiratory illness, could benefit from the mountain air. Anastasia became a prominent member of the high society in Mina Clavero.
A very enterprising woman, Anastasia opened a Guest House, which attracted members of the aristocracy from La Rioja and Cordoba. Thus began tourism in the Traslasierra valley, and Anastasia Favre is considered the spiritual founder of Mina Clavero.
Anastasia and Paula enjoyed a close friendship throughout their lives. Anastasia began to offer her distinguished guests day trips to Paula’s house. The beauty of the place, along with the jams and cakes that Paula prepared with the fruits of her trees made these trips a must for all visitors to Mina Clavero.
With time Paula, who everybody called Niña Paula because she never married, transformed her house into a guest house. They say that even Cura Brochero, a very popular priest in the Sierras, checked in on Niña Paula during his trips to Córdoba.
On September 27th, 1939, at the age of 69, Niña Paula died in room 4 of the still existing Hotel Aguero. She is still remembered today for her kindness and generosity.

A few years after Paula’s death, Federico Dempke, one of the many Germans that arrived in Cordoba in search of peace and prosperity, bought the house and land. He lived in Santa Fe but fell in love with Niña Paula’s place and moved to Traslasierra Valley in 1941. He continued what Paula had started years before and transformed her house into the first mountain hotel in the area, which he called “Niña Paula” in her memory.

Dempke´s task was not easy, but he managed to establish a twelve-room hotel utilizing the most advanced technology available. He installed a Lister engine (allowing the hotel to generate its own electrical power), which still works! The hotel provided a taxi service to bring guests to the hotel from the closest train station in Villa Dolores.

In 1952 Angel Griot, Dempke´s friend and collaborator from Santa Fe, bought Niña Paula after Dempke retired. Hotel Niña Paula continued for a few more years until Griot decided to close it to the public and enjoy it as a holiday house for himself and his three sons, Hugo, Roberto and Ricardo, and their families.

In the eighties, after the death of Don Angel, Niña Paula was abandoned. After almost twenty years, time and looters had nearly ruined the place until Maria Lucrecia Griot, Don Angel’s granddaughter, took it over.

Perhaps guided by Paula’s spirit, Maria Lucrecia moved from Santa Fe to the Traslasierra Valley with one dream: to restore the house where she had spent so many holidays as a child. Her husband, Juan Alberto Sotgiu, along with her daughters and her parents joined her in this dream. It was not easy but thanks to their enthusiastic effort, Hosteria Estancia Niña Paula has once again become what it used to be: “a balm for the soul.”

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HAD FAITH IN US, AND WHO CONTINUE TO HELP AND SUPPORT US EVERY DAY… THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS!

Maria Lucrecia Griot y Juan Alberto Sotgiu-

Clarita Sotgiu y Candelaria Sotgiu.

Beba De Los Reyes y Hugo Griot.